When it comes to buying a long arm TV mount, knowing what to look for can seem overwhelming. With so many options available, it’s important to consider factors such as type, size, and installation. In this article, we’ll guide you through everything you need to know to make an informed purchase.
Understanding the Different Types of Long Arm TV Mounts
Before diving into the purchasing process, it’s essential to understand the different types of long arm TV mounts available on the market. Some popular options include:
- Full-motion: These mounts allow for a wide range of movements and are ideal for larger rooms where multiple viewing angles are needed.
- Tilting: These mounts allow for vertical movement, making it easier to reduce glare or find the perfect viewing angle.
- Fixed: These mounts are stationary and don’t allow for any movement. They’re best for rooms where the TV will remain in one place at all times.
When choosing a long arm TV mount, it’s important to consider the weight and size of your TV. Some mounts are designed to support larger and heavier TVs, while others are better suited for smaller screens. Additionally, you’ll want to think about the placement of your TV and how it will fit into your room’s overall design.
Another factor to consider is the installation process. Some long arm TV mounts require professional installation, while others can be easily installed by the homeowner. If you’re not comfortable with DIY projects, it may be worth investing in professional installation to ensure that your TV is securely mounted and won’t fall or become damaged over time.
Benefits of Buying a Long Arm TV Mount
Investing in a long arm TV mount comes with several benefits. These include:
- Flexibility: Long arm TV mounts allow you to change the viewing angle of your TV, creating a more dynamic viewing experience.
- Saving space: By attaching the TV to the wall, you can reclaim valuable floor space in your room.
- Reduced glare: With a long arm TV mount, you can easily adjust the angle of the screen to avoid glare from windows or other light sources.
In addition to the above benefits, long arm TV mounts also provide better ergonomics. By adjusting the height and angle of the TV, you can reduce strain on your neck and eyes, making for a more comfortable viewing experience. This is especially important for those who spend long periods of time watching TV or playing video games.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Long Arm TV Mount
When choosing a long arm TV mount, there are a few essential factors to consider:
- TV size: Make sure to choose a mount that is compatible with the size and weight of your TV. Most mounts have a weight limit, so check the specifications before purchasing.
- Room size: Consider the space where your TV will be mounted. If you have a large room, a full-motion mount may be more suitable, while a smaller space may only require a tilting mount.
- Installation: Some mounts require special installation methods, such as drilling into concrete or brick walls. Take this into account if you’re not comfortable with DIY installation.
Another important factor to consider when choosing a long arm TV mount is the viewing angle. Think about where you will be sitting in relation to the TV and choose a mount that allows for optimal viewing. Some mounts even have adjustable angles to accommodate different seating arrangements.
It’s also important to consider the overall design and aesthetics of the mount. Choose a mount that complements your room’s decor and doesn’t detract from the overall look and feel of the space. Some mounts even come in different colors or finishes to match your existing furniture.
How to Measure Your TV for a Long Arm TV Mount
Once you’ve chosen the type of mount and size you need, it’s essential to measure your TV correctly to ensure a secure fit. Follow these three steps:
- Measure the distance between the top two mounting holes on the back of your TV.
- Repeat this process, measuring the distance between the bottom two mounting holes.
- Measure the distance between the left and right holes.
These measurements will help you choose a mount that fits perfectly on the back of your TV.
It’s important to note that not all TV mounts are compatible with all TV brands and models. Before purchasing a mount, check the manufacturer’s specifications to ensure it’s compatible with your TV. Additionally, consider the weight of your TV and the weight capacity of the mount to ensure it can support your TV safely and securely.
Tips for Installing a Long Arm TV Mount on Drywall
If you’re planning to install your long arm TV mount on drywall, there are a few tips to ensure a successful installation:
- Locate the studs: Use a stud finder to locate the studs in your wall. This will ensure a secure installation.
- Use the correct hardware: Be sure to use the hardware that comes with your mount to ensure a secure fit.
- Follow the instructions: The installation instructions that come with your mount will guide you through the process step-by-step. Be sure to follow them carefully to avoid damaging your wall or TV.
However, there are a few additional tips that can make the installation process even smoother. Firstly, it’s important to ensure that the TV mount is level before drilling any holes. This can be done using a level or by measuring the distance from the mount to the ground on both sides. Secondly, it’s a good idea to have a helper during the installation process. They can hold the mount in place while you secure it to the wall, making the process much easier.
Lastly, it’s important to consider the weight of your TV when choosing a long arm TV mount. Make sure that the mount you choose is rated to hold the weight of your TV, and that it is securely attached to the wall. This will prevent any accidents or damage to your TV.
How to Install a Long Arm TV Mount on Brick or Concrete Walls
If you’re planning to install your long arm TV mount on a brick or concrete wall, the installation process will be a bit different. Follow these steps:
- Use a masonry drill bit to make holes in the wall where the mount will be installed.
- Insert anchors into the holes to provide a secure base for your mount.
- Attach the mount to the wall using the hardware provided.
- Attach the TV to the mount carefully, following the instructions provided.
It’s important to note that when installing a long arm TV mount on a brick or concrete wall, you may need to use additional tools such as a hammer drill or impact driver to ensure a secure installation. It’s also recommended to have a second person assist with the installation, as the weight of the TV and mount can be heavy and difficult to maneuver alone. Always double check that the mount is securely attached to the wall before mounting your TV to prevent any accidents or damage.
Adjusting Your Long Arm TV Mount for Optimal Viewing Experience
Once your TV is mounted, you can adjust the mount for optimal viewing experience. Follow these tips:
- Avoid glare: If your TV is reflecting glare from a window or light source, adjust the angle of the mount to reduce the glare.
- Find the perfect angle: Tilt or swivel the mount to find the perfect viewing angle for your space.
- Keep it level: Use a level to ensure that your TV is not tilted or slanted.
Another important factor to consider when adjusting your long arm TV mount is the height of the TV. The optimal height for your TV will depend on the size of the screen and the distance between the TV and the seating area. As a general rule, the center of the TV screen should be at eye level when you are seated.
It is also important to consider the weight of your TV when adjusting the mount. Make sure that the mount is rated to support the weight of your TV and that it is securely attached to the wall or ceiling. If you are unsure about the weight rating or installation process, consult a professional installer.
Maintenance and Care Tips for Your Long Arm TV Mount
To keep your long arm TV mount in top condition, follow these care tips:
- Dust regularly: Use a dry cloth to dust your mount and TV regularly.
- Check the hardware: Periodically check the hardware on your mount to ensure it’s secure.
- Avoid unnecessary movement: Avoid moving the mount unnecessarily to reduce wear and tear.
Additionally, it’s important to keep your TV mount away from direct sunlight or heat sources, as this can cause damage to the mount and TV. If you need to clean your mount, use a mild soap and water solution, and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can scratch the surface.
Finally, if you notice any issues with your mount, such as loose hardware or difficulty adjusting the arm, it’s best to contact a professional for repairs or maintenance. Attempting to fix the mount yourself can lead to further damage or even injury.
Troubleshooting Common Issues with Your Long Arm TV Mount
If you experience issues with your long arm TV mount, such as sagging or slippage, try these troubleshooting tips:
- Check the weight limit: Make sure your TV is within the weight limit of the mount.
- Check the hardware: Ensure that the hardware is tightened and secure.
- Adjust the mount: Adjust the mount to reduce sagging or slippage.
If none of these troubleshooting tips work, it may be time to consider replacing your long arm TV mount. Over time, wear and tear can cause the mount to become less effective, and it may no longer be able to support your TV properly. When shopping for a new mount, be sure to carefully consider the weight limit and compatibility with your TV, as well as the durability and ease of installation.
Top Brands for Long Arm TV Mounts
There are several top brands to consider when purchasing a long arm TV mount, including:
When choosing a long arm TV mount, it’s important to consider the weight and size of your TV, as well as the range of motion you need. OmniMount offers a variety of mounts with adjustable arms and tilt options, while Sanus specializes in heavy-duty mounts for larger TVs. VideoSecu offers affordable options with easy installation, and Peerless provides mounts with unique features such as cable management systems. Take the time to research and compare these top brands to find the perfect long arm TV mount for your needs.
Comparing Prices and Features of Different Long Arm TV Mounts
When comparing prices and features of different long arm TV mounts, try to find a balance between affordability and quality. Consider the type of mount, weight limit, and installation requirements when making your decision.
By following these tips and guidelines, you’ll be able to purchase and install a long arm TV mount with confidence, knowing that it will provide you with years of viewing pleasure.