Mounting your TV above your bed can be a smart move for your bedroom, whether you enjoy watching late-night movies or just want to keep it out of sight when not in use. However, before you start drilling holes in your wall, there are a few things to consider. In this article, we will explore everything you need to know about mounting a TV above your bed, from the tools you need to the common mistakes you should avoid.
Why Mounting a TV Above Your Bed is a Great Idea
If you’re someone who loves to kick back with a good movie, having a TV mounted above your bed can be a great way to enhance your viewing experience. Instead of craning your neck to watch TV from your lying position, you can have it directly in front of you. Additionally, mounting your TV can provide more space in your bedroom, reducing clutter on your surfaces.
Another benefit of mounting a TV above your bed is that it can help you wind down before sleep. Watching a calming show or movie can help you relax and prepare for a good night’s rest. However, it’s important to note that using electronics before bed can disrupt your sleep, so it’s best to limit your screen time before hitting the hay.
Finally, mounting a TV above your bed can also be a stylish addition to your bedroom decor. With the right mounting bracket and placement, your TV can blend seamlessly into your room’s aesthetic. You can even choose to hide your TV behind a piece of artwork or a sliding panel when it’s not in use, adding an extra element of design to your space.
Things to Consider Before Mounting a TV Above Your Bed
Before you mount a TV above your bed, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- The weight of your TV – make sure the mount and bracket can support the weight of your TV.
- The placement of the TV – consider the height and location of the TV, so you don’t have to strain your neck to see it.
- The location of electrical outlets – ensure you have a power outlet nearby and accessible for your TV.
Another important factor to consider is the size of your room. If your room is small, a large TV mounted above your bed may overwhelm the space and make it feel cramped. On the other hand, if your room is large, a small TV may look out of place and be difficult to see from your bed.
Additionally, think about the type of content you will be watching on your TV. If you plan on using it primarily for watching movies or TV shows, a mounted TV above your bed can provide a comfortable viewing experience. However, if you plan on using it for work or other activities that require a lot of screen time, it may be better to have a separate workspace with a desk and chair to avoid straining your eyes and neck.
Tools You Need to Mount TV Above Bed
Here are the tools you require to mount the TV above the bed:
- Tape Measure
- Socket Wrench Set
- Stud Finder
- Mounting Bracket & Screws
Before you start mounting the TV above the bed, it is important to ensure that the wall can support the weight of the TV. You can use a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall and mount the TV bracket onto them for added support.
It is also important to consider the viewing angle when mounting the TV above the bed. You can use a tilting or swiveling mount to adjust the angle of the TV for comfortable viewing from the bed.
Step-by-Step Guide to Mounting TV Above Your Bed
Ready to mount your TV above your bed? Follow these simple steps:
- Decide on the placement – using a stud finder, locate the studs in the wall and mark the desired location of the TV with a pencil.
- Mount the bracket – using a drill and screws, mount the bracket onto the wall. Make sure you fix it securely to the studs.
- Attach the plate to your TV – using a socket wrench set, fix the mounting plate onto the back of your TV.
- Attach the TV to the bracket – carefully lift your TV, line it up with the mounting plate, and secure it onto the bracket.
- Test the TV – Check if the TV is level and safe before plugging it in and turning it on.
It is important to note that mounting a TV above your bed can be dangerous if not done properly. Make sure to follow all safety precautions and use the appropriate tools and equipment. If you are unsure about any step in the process, it is recommended to seek professional help.
How to Find the Perfect Spot to Mount Your TV Above the Bed
To find the ideal location to mount your TV above your bed:
- Sit in bed in your normal reading position, and have someone hold the TV mount against the wall. Adjust its height until you find the most comfortable position.
- Measure the distance between the mount and the height of your bed to determine the right height for your TV installation.
- Check that your mount is compatible with your TV and can handle its weight.
It is also important to consider the viewing angle when mounting your TV above the bed. Make sure that the TV is tilted downwards slightly to avoid any strain on your neck while watching. Additionally, ensure that there is no glare or reflection on the screen from any nearby windows or lights. Taking these factors into account will help you find the perfect spot to mount your TV for a comfortable and enjoyable viewing experience.
Tips for Hiding Cables and Wires When Mounting TV Above Bed
Hiding cables and wires when mounting your TV not only eliminates unsightly wires and cords but also ensures safety. Here are some tips:
- Use cable ties or cord covers to keep cords neat and discreet.
- Run cords in channels or behind walls to keep them out of sight.
- Consider a power outlet with built-in USB ports. They not only offer additional outlets but also help keep surfaces free of cords.
Another option for hiding cables and wires is to use a cable raceway. These are plastic or metal channels that can be mounted on the wall to conceal cords. They come in various sizes and colors to match your decor.
If you don’t want to drill holes in your walls, you can also use adhesive cord clips. These are small clips that can be attached to the wall or baseboard to hold cords in place. They are easy to install and can be removed without damaging the wall.
How to Ensure the Safety of Your TV and Yourself When Mounting Above Bed
During the mounting process, safety is paramount. Here are a few tips:
- Ensure that your TV is compatible with your bracket and that the bracket can support the TV’s weight.
- Use a socket wrench or power drill for a secure mount, which will prevent your TV from falling and causing injury.
- Do not overextend yourself or add additional weight to the mount.
It is also important to consider the placement of the TV when mounting it above a bed. Make sure that it is not positioned too high or too low, as this can cause strain on your neck and eyes. The ideal height for a TV mounted above a bed is at eye level when sitting up in bed. Additionally, ensure that all cords and cables are properly secured and out of reach to prevent any tripping hazards.
Recommended Products for Mounting Your TV Above Bed
Suppose you’re looking for some of the best products to mount a TV above your bed. In that case, here are some products you may find helpful:
- Sanus VLT6 Advanced Tilt Premium TV Wall Mount
- OmniMount OE220 Tilting TV Wall Mount
- ECHOGEAR Full Motion TV Wall Mount
- HIDEit Uni-SW (Black) Adjustable Small+Wide Component and Cable Box Wall Mount
When choosing a TV mount for your bedroom, it’s essential to consider the weight and size of your TV. You don’t want to end up with a mount that can’t support your TV’s weight or size. It’s also crucial to ensure that the mount is compatible with your TV’s VESA pattern.
Another factor to consider is the viewing angle. You want to make sure that the TV is mounted at a comfortable height and angle for viewing from your bed. Some mounts offer tilt and swivel features that allow you to adjust the viewing angle to your liking.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Mounting a TV Above Your Bed
Here are common mistakes to watch out for when mounting a TV above your bed:
- Choosing the wrong mount or bracket for your TV’s weight and size.
- Not securing the bracket to enough studs, especially when mounting a bigger TV.
- Not checking the power supply and the location of the nearest electrical outlet to the TV to prevent dangling cords.
Making missteps in the installation process can be costly and frustrating. By keeping these potential issues in mind, you can have a smooth and productive TV installation.
With these tips and tricks, mounting your TV above your bed is an achievable task that can provide a great viewing experience while keeping your surfaces clean and clutter-free. Just make sure to follow the safety guidelines to ensure that both you and your TV stay secure throughout the process.
Another important factor to consider when mounting a TV above your bed is the viewing angle. It’s important to ensure that the TV is mounted at a comfortable height and angle for viewing, to prevent neck strain and discomfort. You may need to adjust the height of your bed or the placement of the TV to achieve the optimal viewing angle. Taking the time to properly position your TV can greatly enhance your viewing experience and prevent discomfort in the long run.