Are you planning to mount your TV on the wall but are afraid of drilling holes and making it permanent? In that case, a TV butterfly mount may be the perfect solution for you. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about mounting a TV butterfly, from understanding what it is and its benefits to the tools you will need, the types of walls suitable for mounting, the steps to take before mounting, installation, adjustment, maintenance, and common mistakes to avoid.
What is a TV Butterfly?
A TV butterfly mount is a type of wall mount that allows you to hang your TV on the wall without drilling holes in your wall. It uses two plates with adhesive on one side that attaches to the back of your TV and the other to the wall. When the plates are aligned, they create a butterfly-like shape, hence the name. The mount can hold TVs between 32 to 65 inches and weigh up to 70 pounds.
One of the benefits of using a TV butterfly mount is that it is easy to install and does not require any special tools or skills. You can easily mount your TV on the wall in just a few minutes. Additionally, the mount allows you to adjust the angle of your TV, so you can get the perfect viewing angle from anywhere in the room.
However, it is important to note that a TV butterfly mount may not be suitable for all types of walls. It is recommended to use it on smooth, flat surfaces such as drywall or plaster. If you have a textured or uneven wall, it may not provide a secure hold for your TV. It is also important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to ensure that the mount is installed correctly and safely.
Benefits of a TV Butterfly
The TV butterfly mount has several benefits. Firstly, it is easy to install, and you do not need any special tools apart from a screwdriver. Secondly, it does not require drilling holes in your wall, making it an ideal solution for renters or people living in apartments where landlords do not allow drilling holes. Furthermore, it is cheaper than most conventional mounts and is perfect for people on a budget. Lastly, it is versatile and can fit different TV sizes, making it an excellent choice for people who frequently upgrade their TV.
In addition to the above benefits, the TV butterfly mount also allows for easy adjustment of the TV’s viewing angle. This means that you can tilt or swivel your TV to achieve the perfect viewing position, whether you are sitting on the couch or lying in bed. This feature is especially useful for people who suffer from neck or back pain, as it allows them to adjust the TV to a comfortable position without having to strain their neck or back. Overall, the TV butterfly mount is a great investment for anyone looking for a cost-effective, easy-to-install, and versatile TV mounting solution.
Tools Needed for Mounting a TV Butterfly
Before you start mounting your TV butterfly, you will need the following tools:
- TV butterfly mount
- Marker or pencil
- Tape measure
It is important to note that the size and weight of your TV will determine the type of butterfly mount you need. Make sure to check the weight and size specifications of your TV before purchasing a mount. Additionally, it is recommended to have a second person assist you with the mounting process to ensure safety and accuracy.
Before drilling any holes, it is also important to locate the studs in your wall to ensure a secure mount. You can use a stud finder tool or knock on the wall to locate the studs. Once you have located the studs, mark the spots where you will be drilling the holes for the mount.
Types of Walls Suitable for Mounting a TV Butterfly
TV butterfly mounts are suitable for several wall types, including drywall, plaster, wood, and concrete. However, you need to ensure that your wall is even and smooth before mounting your TV butterfly. A rough and uneven wall may compromise the adhesive on the plates, causing your TV to fall eventually.
If you are mounting your TV butterfly on a drywall, ensure that you locate the studs behind the wall. This will provide a secure anchor for your TV mount. You can use a stud finder to locate the studs. If you are mounting on a plaster wall, you may need to use toggle bolts to secure the mount.
It is also important to consider the weight of your TV when choosing a TV butterfly mount. Different mounts have different weight capacities, and you need to choose one that can support the weight of your TV. You can check the weight capacity of your mount on the product manual or website.
How to Choose the Right Location for Your TV Butterfly
Before mounting your TV butterfly, you need to select the right location to place your TV. The location you choose should offer a comfortable viewing angle and be at a suitable height. A recommended height is eye level when seated comfortably, and you can adjust your TV mount’s angle to suit your viewing preferences. Furthermore, you should avoid mounting your TV in areas with direct sunlight that may cause glare and disrupt your viewing experience.
Another factor to consider when choosing the right location for your TV butterfly is the distance from the seating area. The ideal distance between the TV and the seating area is about 1.5 to 2 times the diagonal length of the TV screen. This distance ensures that you have a clear and comfortable view of the screen without straining your eyes or neck. Additionally, you should also consider the placement of other furniture and decor in the room to ensure that your TV butterfly does not obstruct any important elements or create an awkward layout.
Steps to Take Before Mounting a TV Butterfly
Before installing your TV butterfly, you should take the following precautions:
- Switch off your TV and unplug all cables and cords
- Ensure that the wall can support the weight of your TV
- Clean the surface where you intend to mount the TV butterfly to remove any dust or dirt
- Measure and mark the mounting points on your wall using a level and a pencil or marker
Once you have marked the mounting points on your wall, you should double-check their accuracy before drilling any holes. Use a tape measure to ensure that the distance between the marks is correct and that they are level. If you are unsure about the accuracy of your measurements, it is better to double-check than to risk making a mistake.
Additionally, it is important to consider the viewing angle of your TV before mounting it. Take into account the height of your seating area and the distance between the TV and the viewers. You may need to adjust the height or angle of the TV butterfly to ensure optimal viewing for everyone in the room.
How to Install the Bracket of Your TV Butterfly
After you have marked the mounting points on your wall, you can proceed to install the bracket by following these steps:
- Peel the protective film from the adhesive side of the plate
- Align the plate with the markings on your wall and press firmly to ensure it sticks securely
- Leave the adhesive to cure for at least an hour before attaching the other plate
It is important to note that the weight of your TV should not exceed the maximum weight capacity of the bracket. Exceeding the weight limit can cause the bracket to fail and damage your TV or injure someone. You can find the weight capacity of your bracket in the product manual or on the manufacturer’s website.
Additionally, if you are unsure about the installation process or do not have the necessary tools, it is recommended to hire a professional to install the bracket for you. This will ensure that the bracket is installed correctly and safely, and will give you peace of mind knowing that your TV is securely mounted.
How to Attach the Plate to Your TV
After you have installed one plate to your wall, you can now attach the other to your TV by following these steps:
- Peel the protective film from the adhesive side of the plate
- Align the plate with the TV’s center of gravity and attach it firmly
- Leave the adhesive to cure for at least an hour before attaching your TV to the mounting plate on the wall
How to Hang Your TV on the Mount
When you have attached both plates to your TV and wall, you can now hang your TV on the mount by following these steps:
- Carefully lift your TV and align it with the plate on the wall
- Lower the TV onto the plate, ensuring that it clicks into place firmly
- Double-check to ensure that your TV is level using a level tool
Adjusting Your TV Once It’s Mounted
After you have hung your TV on the mount, you can adjust it by following these steps:
- Gently move your TV from side to side until you find the perfect viewing angle
- Gradually adjust the tilt angle if necessary until you find the perfect angle
- Double-check to ensure that your TV is still level using a level tool
Tips for Successful Installation of Your TV Butterfly
Here are some tips to help you install your TV butterfly mount successfully:
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to avoid damaging your TV and wall
- Avoid mounting your TV on a wall with wallpaper or wallpapered plasterboard as the adhesive may not stick as well compared to a flat surface
- Ensure that the wall is clean and dry before mounting your TV butterfly to optimize the adhesive’s strength
- Avoid mounting your TV on a wall that vibrates such as behind the door or a washing machine as the vibration may loosen the adhesive and cause your TV to fall off
Maintenance and Cleaning of a TV Butterfly Mount
After mounting your TV butterfly, you should clean and maintain it periodically to ensure that it continues to hold your TV securely. You can clean it by wiping it with a soft, damp cloth and ensuring that it is dust-free. Further, you can maintain its adhesive by applying alcohol on the plates to remove any dirt and grime that may lower its adhesive strength.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Mounting a TV Butterfly
Here are some common mistakes to avoid when mounting your TV butterfly:
- Installing on a weak or uneven wall
- Installing on a wall with wallpaper or wallpapered plasterboard
- Installing on a wall that vibrates
- Not following the manufacturer’s instructions carefully
Frequently Asked Questions About Mounting a TV Butterfly
Here are some frequently asked questions about mounting a TV butterfly:
- Q: Can I remove my TV butterfly mount without damaging the wall or TV?
- A: Yes, you can remove it by gently peeling it off the wall and TV’s back, avoiding pulling it forcefully.
- Q: Can a TV butterfly mount support a TV larger than 65 inches?
- A: No, it can only support TVs between 32 to 65 inches.
- Q: Can I use the same TV butterfly mount on a different TV?
- A: Yes, as long as it falls within the recommended weight and size limit.
We hope that this guide will be useful in helping you mount your TV butterfly successfully. Remember, it’s essential to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and avoid taking shortcuts to optimize your TV’s security and viewing experience. Happy mounting!