Are you tired of looking at an old and unsightly TV wall mount in your living room or bedroom? Maybe you recently upgraded to a newer TV and the new mount doesn’t quite line up with the old holes in your wall. Whatever your reason, covering up your old TV wall mount is a great way to give your space a fresh, updated look. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about how to cover up your old TV wall mount, from assessing your situation to choosing the right cover-up and maintaining it for years to come.
The Importance of Covering Up Your Old TV Wall Mount
First things first, why should you bother covering up your old TV wall mount? There are several reasons. For starters, an old and worn-out wall mount can be an eyesore, detracting from the overall look of your room. Additionally, if you’ve recently upgraded to a newer TV, the new mount may not be able to line up with the old holes in your wall. This can lead to an unsightly and potentially dangerous situation if the mount isn’t securely fastened to the wall. Finally, covering up your old TV wall mount can help create a cohesive and polished look in your space, tying together your décor and making your TV blend seamlessly into your room.
Another reason to cover up your old TV wall mount is to prevent any potential accidents or injuries. If the old mount is not properly covered or removed, it can pose a hazard to anyone in the room. Children or pets may accidentally bump into the protruding mount, causing it to become loose or fall off the wall. By covering up the old mount, you can ensure the safety of everyone in your home and avoid any unnecessary accidents.
Assessing Your Current TV Wall Mount Situation
Before you can start covering up your old TV wall mount, you’ll need to assess your current situation. Take a close look at the wall mount and determine how it’s attached to the wall. Is it bolted to the studs? Is it attached with heavy-duty drywall anchors? Depending on the type of wall mount and how it’s attached, you may have different options for covering it up.
If the wall mount is bolted to the studs, you may need to remove the bolts and patch the holes before covering it up. If it’s attached with heavy-duty drywall anchors, you may be able to remove the anchors and patch the holes, or you may need to leave the anchors in place and cover them up with a larger piece of drywall.
Another factor to consider is the weight and size of your new TV. If you’re upgrading to a larger or heavier TV, you may need to replace the old wall mount with a new one that can support the weight and size of your new TV. This may require additional installation and mounting hardware, so be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully before attempting to install the new wall mount.
Different Types of Cover-Ups for Old TV Wall Mounts
There are several different types of cover-ups you can use to conceal your old TV wall mount, depending on your needs and your style. Here are a few options:
- Painting the Wall: One of the simplest and most affordable options is to paint the wall around the old mount. This can work well if the mount is relatively flush with the wall and you don’t want to draw attention to it.
- Hiding it Behind Art: Another option is to hang a large piece of art or a tapestry over the mount. This can help disguise the mount and draw the eye away from it.
- Using a Panel: If you have a slightly larger budget and want a more substantial solution, you can install a panel over the old mount. This can be made of wood, metal, or another material and can give your space a sleek and finished look.
However, if you want to completely remove the old TV wall mount, you can hire a professional to do it for you. This option may be more expensive, but it can give you a completely clean slate to work with and allow you to redesign your space without any limitations.
Another option is to repurpose the old mount for a new TV or other electronic device. With a few adjustments, you may be able to use the existing mount for a new device, saving you money and reducing waste.
DIY Solutions to Cover Up Your Old TV Wall Mount
If you’re handy and enjoy DIY projects, there are several options for covering up your old TV wall mount on your own. Here are a few ideas:
- Build a Cover: Using wood, fabric, or another material, you can build a custom cover for your old mount. This can be stained or painted to match your décor and can give your space a unique and personalized look.
- Create a Gallery Wall: Instead of hiding the mount, you can use it as part of a gallery wall. Hang several pieces of art and other décor around the TV, incorporating the mount as a part of the overall design.
- Use Contact Paper: Contact paper is an affordable and easy-to-use option for covering up an old TV wall mount. Simply cut the paper to size and adhere it to the wall around the mount, creating a new and updated look.
Another DIY solution to cover up your old TV wall mount is to create a faux fireplace. You can build a frame around the mount and add a mantel and surround to create the illusion of a fireplace. This can be a great way to add warmth and coziness to your space, especially during the colder months.
Professional Options for Concealing Your Old TV Wall Mount
If you prefer to leave the work to the professionals, there are several options for covering up your old TV wall mount with the help of a contractor or designer. These options may be more expensive than DIY solutions, but they can also be more substantial and long-lasting.
- Built-in Shelving: A contractor can build a custom shelving unit or entertainment center around your TV, concealing the old wall mount and creating a more cohesive and polished look.
- Wallpaper or Textured Wall Covering: Another option is to cover the entire wall with a textured wallpaper or wall covering, effectively hiding the old mount behind a new and updated look.
- Custom Panel: Finally, a designer can create a custom panel or piece of artwork specifically designed to cover your old TV wall mount. This can be a beautiful and unique solution that blends seamlessly with your décor.
It’s important to note that when hiring a professional to conceal your old TV wall mount, you should consider the overall design and style of your room. A professional can help you choose the best option that not only hides the old mount but also enhances the overall aesthetic of your space. Additionally, they can ensure that the solution is safe and secure, so you don’t have to worry about any accidents or damage to your TV.
Step-by-Step Guide to Covering Up Your Old TV Wall Mount
Now that you know your options, here is a step-by-step guide to covering up your old TV wall mount:
- Assess your current wall mount situation to determine the best cover-up option for your needs.
- Select your cover-up option, whether it’s painting the wall, installing a panel, or building a custom cover.
- If you’re using a DIY solution, gather your materials and carefully measure and cut everything to size.
- If you’re working with a professional, schedule a consultation and work with them to design your cover-up.
- Install your cover-up according to the instructions, making sure it’s secure and level.
- Step back and admire your new and updated look!
It’s important to note that covering up your old TV wall mount can also be a safety measure. If the mount is no longer in use, it can pose a hazard if left exposed. Covering it up can prevent accidents and injuries, especially if you have children or pets in the home. So not only will you be improving the aesthetics of your space, but you’ll also be creating a safer environment for your family.
Tips for Choosing the Right Cover-Up for Your Old TV Wall Mount
When selecting your cover-up option, keep these tips in mind:
- Consider your style and overall décor. Choose a cover-up that will blend seamlessly with your existing design.
- Think about your budget. Some options, like painting the wall, are more affordable than others.
- Consider how much work you’re willing to put in. DIY options may be more affordable, but they also require more work.
- Choose a cover-up that works with the size and shape of your TV.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Covering Up Old TV Wall Mounts
When covering up your old TV wall mount, be sure to avoid these common mistakes:
- Choosing a cover-up that clashes with your décor or draws too much attention to the TV.
- Forgetting to measure carefully and install the cover-up securely.
- Choosing a cover-up that doesn’t work with the size or shape of your TV.
- Overlooking the importance of proper maintenance and care of your cover-up.
Creating a Seamless Look: Blending Your New Cover-Up with the Surrounding Décor
Once you’ve covered up your old TV wall mount, it’s important to create a seamless look by blending it in with the surrounding décor. Here are a few tips:
- Reposition your furniture and other décor to draw attention away from the TV and wall mount.
- Hang other pieces of art or décor on the same wall to create balance and harmony.
- Choose a wall color or wallpaper that works well with your cover-up and surrounding décor.
- Add accent pieces, like throw pillows or decorative objects, that tie the TV area in with the rest of the room.
Maintaining Your New Cover-Up: Tips and Tricks for Long-Term Use
To keep your new cover-up looking fresh and updated for years to come, follow these maintenance tips:
- Clean it regularly with a soft cloth or duster to keep it dust-free.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives that can damage the material.
- Repair any damage or wear and tear as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
- Think about how your TV and cover-up will fit with any future changes in your décor or technology.
By following these tips and tricks, you can successfully cover up your old TV wall mount and create a fresh and updated look in your living room or bedroom. Whether you opt for a DIY solution or a professional installation, the key is to choose a cover-up option that works with your style and budget, while also blending seamlessly with the surrounding décor. Happy decorating!