Choosing the right TV wall mount kit can be a daunting task, especially with so many different types available in the market. But don’t worry, we have got you covered. In this article, we will take you through all the factors to consider before choosing a wall mount kit. From understanding VESA standards to different types of mount kits, we will help you make an informed decision.
Different Types of Tv Wall Mounts and Their Pros and Cons
Before diving into the factors to consider, let’s briefly take a look at the various types of wall mount kits and their advantages and disadvantages.
Fixed Wall Mounts: As the name suggests, fixed wall mounts keep your TV stationary and rigid against the wall. They are the most common types of mounts and are easy to install. However, they offer no flexibility when it comes to adjusting the viewing angles.
Tilting Wall Mounts: Tilting wall mounts are similar to fixed mounts, but they allow you to tilt the TV up or down to get the perfect viewing angle. This feature is particularly useful if you need to mount your TV at a higher position.
Full Motion Wall Mounts: Full motion wall mounts, also known as articulating wall mounts, offer the most flexibility. They allow you to adjust the viewing angle horizontally as well as vertically. They are perfect for large living rooms or if you frequently entertain guests. However, they are also the most expensive and require a bit of expertise to install.
Ceiling Mounts: Ceiling mounts are a great option if you have limited wall space or if you want to mount your TV in a non-traditional location. They are also ideal for commercial settings such as restaurants or bars. However, they can be difficult to install and may require professional help. Additionally, they may not be suitable for larger TVs as they can put a strain on the ceiling.
Factors to Consider Before Choosing a Tv Wall Mount Kit
Choosing the right wall mount kit involves some calculations and measurements. Here are some factors to consider:
TV Size: The size of your TV will determine the type of wall mount kit you need. The mount kit should be compatible with the TV’s weight and size. Most mount kits mention the compatible TV size range on their packaging.
Wall Type: Different wall materials require specific mount kits. For instance, concrete and brick walls need anchor bolts and stud anchors. Drywalls, on the other hand, need toggle bolts or butterfly anchors. When buying a wall mount kit, make sure it is compatible with your wall type.
Viewing Angle: Consider the viewing angle for your TV. If you need to mount your TV at a higher position, a tilting mount kit would be more suitable.
Installation Difficulty: Another factor to consider is the installation difficulty of the wall mount kit. Some kits may require professional installation, while others can be easily installed by the homeowner. If you are not comfortable with DIY projects, it is best to hire a professional to install the wall mount kit for you. This will ensure that the TV is mounted securely and safely.
How to Measure Your Tv and Wall for the Perfect Fit
Before you buy a mount kit, you need to measure both your TV and the wall where you want to mount it. Follow these steps:
1. Measure the width and height of your TV.
2. Check the TV’s weight. Usually, the weight of the mount kit is proportional to the TV’s weight.
3. Measure the distance between the mounting holes at the back of your TV. This is where the mount kit will be attached.
4. Measure the height you want to mount your TV on the wall.
5. Identify the stud locations on your wall where you want to attach the mount kit.
6. Consider the viewing angle when deciding on the height to mount your TV. You want to make sure the TV is at a comfortable eye level when seated.
Understanding VESA Standards for Tv Wall Mounting
VESA standards determine the distance between the mounting holes at the back of your TV. This is important since the mount kit needs to attach to these holes. VESA standards are usually mentioned on the TV or in the TV’s manual. Check the VESA standards before buying a wall mount kit to ensure compatibility.
It’s also important to consider the weight and size of your TV when selecting a wall mount kit. Different kits are designed to support different weights and sizes, so make sure to choose one that is appropriate for your TV. Additionally, consider the viewing angle and height when selecting a location for your TV on the wall. Mounting it too high or at an awkward angle can lead to discomfort and strain on your neck and eyes.
Tips for Installing a Tv Wall Mount Kit on Different Walls (Drywall, Concrete, Brick)
As mentioned earlier, different wall materials require specific mount kits. Here are some tips for installing wall mount kits on different walls:
Drywall: Use toggle bolts or butterfly anchors.
Concrete or Brick Walls: Use anchor bolts or stud anchors.
Wooden Studs: Use wood screws.
Plaster Walls: Use toggle bolts or molly bolts. It is important to locate the studs behind the plaster to ensure a secure mount.
Cement Block Walls: Use lead anchors or sleeve anchors. These types of walls require a more heavy-duty mount kit due to their density and weight. It is recommended to use a professional installer for cement block walls to ensure proper installation and safety.
Tools Required for Installing a Tv Wall Mount Kit
Here are the tools you will need to install a wall mount kit:
1. Drill and drill bits
2. Stud finder
5. Hammer and nail
6. Tape measure
Additionally, it is recommended to have a second person to assist with the installation process, especially when mounting larger TVs. This will ensure that the mount is properly aligned and securely attached to the wall.
Step-by-Step Guide to Installing a Tv Wall Mount Kit
Here is a step-by-step guide to installing a wall mount kit:
1. Use a stud finder to locate the studs on the wall.
2. Assemble the mount kit. This involves attaching the mount arms to the wall plate.
3. Attach the wall plate to the wall using the appropriate hardware.
4. Attach the horizontal brackets to the back of your TV.
5. Lift the TV and align the horizontal brackets with the arms on the wall plate.
6. Adjust the TV’s viewing angle and tighten the bolts.
7. Make sure to test the mount’s stability by gently pushing and pulling the TV. If it wobbles or feels loose, double-check the bolts and make sure they are tightened properly.
8. Consider hiding the cables by using cable covers or running them through the wall. This will give your installation a cleaner look and prevent any tripping hazards.
How to Hide Cables and Wires When Installing a Tv Wall Mount Kit
Cables and wires can be an eyesore when mounting your TV on the wall. Here are some tips for hiding them:
1. Use a cable cover to conceal the cables.
2. Install a power outlet behind the TV so that the cables are hidden.
3. Use zip ties to tie the cables together and to the mount kit to keep them organized.
4. Consider using a cord management system that allows you to run the cables through the wall. This will give your installation a clean, professional look.
5. If you don’t want to run the cables through the wall, you can use a cord hider that attaches to the wall and covers the cables. These come in a variety of colors and styles to match your decor.
Maintenance Tips for Your TV Wall Mount Kit
To ensure your TV remains secure on the wall, you need to maintain the mount kit. Here are some maintenance tips:
1. Inspect the mount kit regularly for any loose bolts or screws.
2. Dust the mount kit and TV regularly to prevent buildup.
3. Check the TV’s positioning to ensure it has not shifted.
4. If you notice any cracks or damage to the mount kit, replace it immediately to avoid any accidents or damage to your TV.
5. Make sure to use the appropriate tools and follow the manufacturer’s instructions when installing or adjusting the mount kit to avoid any damage to the wall or TV.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Installing a Tv Wall Mount Kit
Here are some common mistakes to avoid when installing a wall mount kit:
1. Not checking the wall compatibility before buying the mount kit.
2. Not checking the VESA standards before buying the mount kit.
3. Not following the instructions on the packaging properly.
4. Not tightening the bolts and screws properly.
5. Not inspecting the mount kit regularly for any loose screws or bolts.
With these tips, you should be able to choose the right TV wall mount kit and install it with ease. Remember, safety comes first. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully and get professional help if needed. Happy viewing!
It is also important to consider the weight of your TV when choosing a wall mount kit. If the mount kit is not designed to support the weight of your TV, it can lead to a dangerous situation where the TV falls off the wall. Make sure to check the weight limit of the mount kit and compare it to the weight of your TV before making a purchase. It’s better to be safe than sorry!