If you live in a small apartment or have limited space in your home, you may be struggling to find a way to fit all of your entertainment equipment while still keeping your living space uncluttered. One great solution to this problem is to build your own fold away TV mount. By doing so, you’ll be able to easily store your TV when you’re not using it and free up valuable space in your living area.
Why a Fold Away TV Mount is a Great Solution for Small Spaces
A fold away TV mount is the perfect solution for small spaces due to its unique ability to maximize space when it’s not in use. Not only does it free up valuable floor and shelf space, but it also makes it easy to switch between using the TV and engaging in other activities. For example, if you want to use your living room space to do a yoga routine, you can easily fold away the TV mount and move your mat into the open space, or change the channel to some peaceful nature scenes to set the mood for your yoga session.
Another advantage of a fold away TV mount is that it can be adjusted to different angles and heights, providing a comfortable viewing experience for everyone in the room. This is especially useful in small spaces where there may not be enough room for everyone to sit in front of the TV at the same distance.
Additionally, a fold away TV mount can be a great safety feature for households with young children or pets. By mounting the TV on the wall and folding it away when not in use, you can prevent accidents caused by curious little ones who may try to climb on top of the TV or pull it down.
Tools and Materials Needed to Build a Fold Away TV Mount
Before beginning your project, you should gather the necessary tools and materials for building your fold away TV mount. Below is a list of the tools and materials you’ll need:
- Measuring Tape
- Screwdrivers (including Phillips and Flathead)
- 4 piano hinges
- Wall anchors
- Wood glue
- Staining or painting materials
It is important to note that the size of the plywood will depend on the size of your TV. Make sure to measure your TV and choose a plywood size that will accommodate it. Additionally, you may want to consider adding a cable management system to your fold away TV mount to keep cords organized and out of sight. This can be achieved by adding cable clips or a cable sleeve to the back of the mount.
Step-by-Step Guide: Building the Frame for the TV Mount
The first step in building your fold away TV mount is to build the frame. Follow these steps to do so:
- Measure your TV screen to determine the size of your frame.
- Cut your plywood into four pieces, one for each side of the frame. Cut the top and bottom pieces so that they are wider than the side pieces by the thickness of the plywood. This will allow the pieces to overlap when the TV is attached to the frame later on.
- Arrange the cut pieces to form a rectangle and secure them together using wood glue and screws.
- Use sandpaper to smooth the edges of the frame and remove any rough spots.
- If desired, stain or paint the frame to match your décor.
Once the frame is complete, you can move on to attaching the TV mount. This will involve attaching a bracket to the back of the TV and then securing it to the frame using bolts or screws. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for attaching the bracket to your specific TV model. Once the TV is securely attached to the frame, you can test the fold away mechanism to ensure that it is working properly.
How to Install the Hinges for the Fold Away Feature
Next, you’ll need to install the hinges that will allow the frame to fold away when the TV isn’t in use. This is a simple process that involves securing piano hinges along the bottom of the frame.
- Open the frame so that the sides are parallel to each other and the top and bottom pieces are perpendicular. Ensure that everything is level before proceeding.
- Attach one piano hinge along the bottom edge of each side piece.
- Make sure that the hinges are installed straight and flush against the plywood, and that they are in line with each other.
It’s important to note that the size and weight of your TV will determine the number and placement of the hinges needed for the fold away feature. For larger and heavier TVs, it may be necessary to install additional hinges along the sides of the frame to provide extra support. Be sure to consult the manufacturer’s instructions or a professional if you are unsure about the appropriate number and placement of hinges for your specific TV.
Adding Support Features to Ensure Stability of the TV Mount
Now that you’ve installed the hinges, it’s time to add support features to ensure stability of the mount. This can be done by securing a crossbar and a locking mechanism to the back of the frame.
- Measure and cut a piece of plywood the same length as the width of the frame.
- Attach the crossbar to the back of the frame using wood glue and screws.
- Install a locking mechanism towards the bottom of the frame using screws. This mechanism should allow you to securely lock the TV mount in place when it’s in the open position.
It’s important to note that the weight of the TV should also be taken into consideration when adding support features. If you have a particularly heavy TV, you may want to consider using thicker plywood or adding additional crossbars for added stability. Additionally, it’s a good idea to periodically check the screws and locking mechanism to ensure they remain tight and secure over time.
How to Choose and Install the Best Wall Anchors for Your TV Mount
The final step in building your fold away TV mount is to choose and install the best wall anchors for your TV mount so it stays secure to your walls.
- Determine the type of wall you’ll be mounting your TV onto – concrete, drywall, or wood – and choose the appropriate wall anchors for that type of wall.
- Select the location where you’d like your TV mount to be mounted and mark it with a pencil.
- Install the wall anchors into the appropriate spots using a drill and a screwdriver.
- Align the holes in the frame with the wall anchors and screw them in place.
It is important to note that the weight of your TV will also determine the type of wall anchors you should use. For heavier TVs, it is recommended to use toggle bolts or molly bolts, which provide more support and stability. For lighter TVs, plastic anchors or self-drilling anchors may suffice.
Installing Your TV onto the Fold Away Mount: Tips and Tricks
With your fold away TV mount complete, it’s time to install your TV onto the mount. Follow these tips and tricks to make the installation process as smooth as possible:
- Have someone help you lift and attach the TV to the frame to ensure that it’s level and secure.
- Make sure that you’ve attached your cables and cords correctly before mounting your TV.
- Test the locking mechanism by opening and closing the TV mount a few times to ensure that it’s secure.
- If you’re having trouble with the mount staying open or closed, make sure that everything is level and adjust the hinges as needed.
It’s important to note that the weight limit of your fold away TV mount should be taken into consideration before installing your TV. Make sure that your TV is within the weight limit specified by the manufacturer to avoid any accidents or damage to your mount. Additionally, it’s recommended to periodically check the mount and its components to ensure that everything is still secure and functioning properly.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Building a Fold Away TV Mount
Although building a fold away TV mount is a relatively easy project, there are a few common mistakes that you’ll want to avoid:
- Not measuring your TV properly before cutting the plywood pieces.
- Not installing the hinges or locking mechanism properly, which can cause the TV mount to be unstable.
- Choosing the wrong type of wall anchor for your wall type, which can cause the TV mount to come loose or fall off the wall.
Another common mistake to avoid when building a fold away TV mount is not considering the weight of your TV. If your TV is too heavy for the mount, it can cause the mount to sag or even break. Make sure to check the weight limit of your mount and ensure that it can support the weight of your TV before beginning the project.
Maintaining and Cleaning Your TV Mount for Longevity
To ensure that your TV mount lasts for years to come, it’s important to maintain and clean it regularly. Here are a few tips:
- Dust your TV mount regularly to prevent buildup.
- Occasionally tighten any screws or bolts that may have come loose over time.
- If there are any scratches or scuffs on the frame, sand them down and touch up with stain or paint.
Another important aspect of maintaining your TV mount is to ensure that it is properly installed. If the mount is not installed correctly, it can cause damage to your TV or even fall off the wall. It’s recommended to have a professional install your TV mount to ensure it is secure and safe.
Additionally, if you have pets or children in your home, it’s important to take extra precautions to protect your TV mount. Consider installing a lock or cover to prevent accidental bumps or tampering. You can also use cable ties to secure any cords or cables to the mount to prevent them from getting tangled or pulled out.
Alternative Designs for Fold Away TV Mounts
If you’re looking for a unique design for your fold away TV mount, there are plenty of options to choose from. For example, you can add shelves to the frame so that you have space to store DVDs or other items. Or, you can create a custom design that features a swivel arm or other special features. The possibilities are endless!
Cost Comparison: DIY vs Store-bought Fold Away TV Mounts
Building your own fold away TV mount is a cost-effective way to add functionality to your living space. Depending on the size and materials you choose, your DIY project can cost anywhere from $50 to $100 or more. Compare this to store-bought fold away TV mounts, which can cost upwards of $200 or more, and you can see how much money you can save by building your own.
Overall, building your own fold away TV mount is a rewarding project that can add functionality to your living space and free up valuable space in your home. By following these instructions, you’ll be able to create a TV mount that’s both functional and stylish, all while remaining within your budget!